With the abundance of squash available, this is the perfect recipe to nourish your senses! The wonderful aroma of cooking the ‘tri-root’ onions, ginger and garlic combined with the glorious orange colour of this nurturing soup will have your senses reeling, not to mention the wonderful taste and health benefits!
Ingredients and some of their health benefits
- 1 medium size Butternut Squash; deseeded, peeled and chopped into cubes; Good for the liver, eyes and digestive system.
- Tri root- All peeled and chopped; enhances the immune system
- 1 small onion
- 1 garlic glove
- 1-2 inches of fresh root ginger
- 1 tbs olive oil; good for the metabolism
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the tri-root and fry gently for a few minutes.
Add the squash and stir.
Add the vegetable stock and cover, simmer on a gentle heat until the squash has softened (around 15 minutes)
Blend until smooth
Enjoy with some homemade flat bread.
Variations to suit!
- 1 red chilli; boosts circulation. Deseed and chop-add to tri root stage
- Juice of 1 lime; good for the skin. Add at the end of cooking
- 200ml coconut milk: Good for boosting the energy. Add at end of cooking (reduce amount of vegetable stock used.
If the squash is young boost the fibre content and leave the skin on, it will break down when blending.
Keep the seeds from the squash, rinse and dry, mix with a little oil and bake on a tray for around 20/25 minutes in a medium oven. They make a great snack, good for cholesterol and rich in protein.